Thursday, March 7, 2013

Bahir Dar Marketplace

I am shopper so I was intrigued by the Bahir Dar Marketplace.  I had plenty of birr (their currency).  Right now, it takes about 18 birr to equal one US dollar, so it is about the value of our nickel. The marketplace had stalls, nothing like the Galleria.  I went on a Saturday because I heard it was the best day to go with the vendors and stuff to buy. I could have bought live or dead chickens, shoes, vegetables, flour or chilis.  I bought a head scarf like the women all wear.

It was little chaotic. Some vendors had stalls attached to buildings. Some laid their good right out on the dirt plazas and roads. It was crowded with people carrying goods on their backs or on small carts pulled by donkeys.  No 18 wheelers pulling up to loading docks here!

No comments:

Post a Comment